CMS Code of Conduct
The Canadian Mathematical Society (CMS) is committed to maintaining the highest standard of conduct and to acting with fairness and integrity in all of its activities, including semi-annual and other meetings organized by the CMS. The CMS welcomes and supports members of all backgrounds and identities, including but not limited to, members of any gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, cultural background, physical appearance, national origin, social and economic class, educational level, immigration status, sexual orientation, age, family status, political beliefs, religion, and mental and physical ability.
This Canadian Mathematical Society Code of Conduct Policy applies to the following groups of individuals while participating in CMS activities or while representing the Society:
· all full-time and part-time employees of the Canadian Mathematical Society;
· all members of the Canadian Mathematical Society;
· all members of the CMS Board of Directors;
· all members of CMS Committees;
· all volunteers at CMS-sponsored activities (Math Camps, competitions, etc); and
· all participants and speakers at CMS Conferences.
Code of Conduct
The CMS maintains a culture in which the rights and dignity of others are valued and in which differences of opinion are voiced in a professional, respectful manner.
1. Individuals will not engage in insults, threats, or any form of discrimination.
2. Individuals will not engage in harassment or exclusionary behaviour.
3. Individuals shall act honestly, with integrity and competence, and in a manner that upholds the reputation of the Canadian Mathematical Society.
Examples of unacceptable behavior include: personal insults (especially those in which racist or sexist terms are used), inappropriate physical contact, discriminatory jokes and language, insubordination (e.g. disruption of talks or other events), unwelcome sexual attention or sexual solicitations or advances, or engaging in any behavior that, in any way discriminates, demeans, or treats another person adversely on the basis of any of the enumerated grounds.
Consequences of Noncompliance
The CMS or those acting on its behalf will take all the measures necessary to ensure a safe environment for everyone participating in CMS activities. Any actions that are not consistent with this Code of Conduct Policy should be brought to the attention of an Executive Member of the CMS. Individuals who violate this Code of Conduct Policy may, at the discretion of the CMS Executive be subject to disciplinary actions. Such actions may include, requiring the individual to leave a CMS meeting (with no refund of registration fees), barring the individual from future CMS activities, revoking the individual's CMS membership for a specified period of time or for life, or the termination of employment for CMS staff members.